Precautions before rhinoplasty surgery.
1. Medications to avoid before rhinoplasty – Some medications and herbal/natural supplements thin the blood, can cause bleeding during surgery and can affect your rhinoplasty recovery.
Stop taking (prescription or over the counter products that contain aspirin or other salicylates) 2 weeks before surgery.
Aspirin, Motrin, Advil, Alka-Seltzer products, Anacin, Arthropan, Ascriptin, Aspergum, Asprimox, Bayer products, Bufferin, Doans, Ecotrin, Empirin, Excedrin products, Halfprin, Mobigesic, Pepto-Bismol, Saleto and Vanquish.
Stop taking (prescription or over the counter products that contain nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents) 2 weeks before surgery.
Dicloflenac (Voltarin, etc), Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), Advil products, Aleve products, Dristan Sinus, Haltran, Ibuprofen products, Menadol, Midol Extra Strength, Motrin, Naproxen and any decogestant nasal sprays.
Stop taking all natural products, herbal medicines, vitamins, and other supplements 7 days before your surgery. They may be resumed 2 weeks after surgery.
Some natural supplements in particular can cause blood thinning. It is important to discontinue all of these natural supplements for 2 weeks before surgery.
Agrimony, Alfalfa, aniseed, artemesia, bishop’s weed, bladderwrack, bochu, bogbean, boldo, bromelains, burdock, capsicum, cassio, celery seed, chamomile, Chinese wolfberry, chondroitin, clove, cod liver oil, coltsfoot, dandelion, danshen (salvia), devils claw, dihydroepiandrosteroe (DHEA), dong quai (angelica), ephedra, fenugreek, feverfew, fish oil, flax seed, gamma linoleic acid, garlic, ginger, ginkgo, ginseng, glucosamine, horse chestnut, hrseradish, licorice, meadowsweet, melatonin, meliot, nattokinase, onion, pantethine, papain (papaya extract), parsley, passionflower, policosanol, poplar etc)
2. Stop smoking – Cigarette stimulus component can cause phlegm, sneezing, and also bleeding after surgery. So it is strongly recommended to stop smoking for 3 days before surgery.
3. If you have severe cold on the day of surgery, airway and respiratory organs can be abnormal, so you need to inform your condition to doctor.
4. Wear comfortable
5. Bring mask, scarf, cap, sunglasses and etc.
6. Remove contact lenses, accessories, manicure and make up.
7. Foods and drinks are prohibited for 6 ~ 8 hours before surgery.